Sunday, January 10, 2010

Getting Started

As I layed in bed last night and began some self reflection I pondered why I don't take my own advice..."If you don't like something, be a problem solver and fix it!"

The purpose of this blog is to share with the world my goals, my path to accomplishing these goals, and finally the celebration as I achieve these goals! I find myself a goal oriented person, but the goals I have set over the past few years have been center around others and not myself. My goals have been centered around my students at work, work itself, my husband, my children, my home...but not Katie. It's time I make a personal goal for me...and no one else! A friend pointed out to me that I show my love through time. As I dig deeper into her comment, I believe she is 100% correct. I DO show my love to someone/ something with my time. And this is the gift of others that I look for as a reflection of whether or not they love me. Well it's time I show myself some love...with time for me!

My goal is to get healthy...on the inside of me with the food I choose to eat, the outside of me with my physical appearance, and mentally with the way a view the inside and outside of me.

The next question...How do I plan to do this? After much thought, I have a few solutions that I believe will not only help me achieve my "getting healthy" goal, but allow me to gain some balance in my life. I know myself pretty well and know that if I don't have "someone" holding me accountable, it becomes really easy for me to cheat myself...and I do.
  1. So this blog is one of my solutions. It will have the world holding me accountable (because I believe the world will read about me!) You ask "how?" I will be posting my progress and my reflections of the training I do each day.
  2. Another solution is to set a tangible, accomplishable goal. I've done this my pre-registering myself for races through-out the year; thank you Runner's World! My first race is a 5K on February 20th here in the Springs. Not only do I want to finish, but I want to RUN the whole thing. I'm not a "runner" so becoming one and proving it will be a mini-goal within my healthy goal. For each race, I will be setting a goal.
  3. Continuing with my solutions, I have also written a plan my for my training. This comes back to balance! Leaving work at 4:00pm is hard when I have so many commitments I drown myself with. Leaving at 4:00pm, 3 days a week, not only prevents me from working 10 hour days, but allows me to train in the gym (or outside, given the weather) and not neglect my family. And getting the exercise in will not only help make my physical appearance something to be desired, but my mental "appearance" will be desirable as well!
  4. And lastly, fueling my body properly is a solution. Not only will I need to fuel my body with the right kinds of food, but also the right amounts of those foods. "Zoning" has been, by far, the nutrition choice I have felt the best on. It's a block system, which requires you to be conscience of the food you put in your body; amounts and combinations of foods. 10 days of keotosis will be my start so that I can find out how many carbohydrates my body truely needs to be a healthy working machine. After these 10 days, my "blocks" will be adjusted accordingly.

Supporting me is all that I ask! There are a few ways you can do this. For one, reading this blog will be support. That is the reason I am writing one...I want you to know my path to healthiness (those of you who love me...will give of that time). Another way you can support me is by leaving your negative/ unpositive remarks to yourself. These tend to be goal busters and I don't care to hear them. I would like words of wisdom, encouragement, and accountability. So leaving those types of comments on each posting would be much appreciated! Lastly, you can support me by joining me. I love to talk! and share! I will post my training schedule for you, and if you can make it...I'd love to have the company.

Getting healthy and staying healthy with my body and mind is a necessity for the now and for the future! I want to live a long, prosperous and healthy life. If this is what I want, I need to light the fire under my ass and do it! I am a firm believer that things don't "just happen"...that is if someone want something to happen, they have to DO IT! I pray for strength, support, wisdom, energy, and above all PERSEVERANCE!!!

4 comments:

  1. good for you! im following you! go follow me! http://bryanericaandlily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Katie! I know you will do great, especially since you have a knowledgeable husband to help you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiring, Katie! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! It would be fun to run together sometime.

    ReplyDelete